Sunday, January 8, 2012

Where exactly are you going in Italy?


Hmm, good question. I’ve only answered it a billion times, a million different ways, and probably incorrectly every single time. Studying in Roma is for those who aren’t up for the challenge (no offense) of explaining where you’re studying. Everyone has a vague idea of where Rome is (Italy, somewhere, right?), but when you say, “Macerata,” their faces are blanker than school chalkboards in summertime. Trouble is, geography/directions/descriptions are not my strong suit. So, I’ve been having a bit of difficultly explaining where I will actually be.

But have no fear. My handy pre-departure packet has some helpful information for those of you wondering where I’ll actually be living for a couple of months (talking to you here, mom).

Macerata (pronounced Ma-cher-ata) is in the region of Marche (pronounced Mar-kay).  It is a small town, around 43,000 people, and the patron saint is San Guiliano (I know, it doesn’t help you locate it on a map, but it’s kind of cool). Macerata is also the name of the province, of which the city of Macerata is the capital (this is my understanding right now, I reserve the right to come back and say that is totally false). The province has a population of about 300,000. The city of Macerata, where I'll be living is located in hills between two rivers -- the Chienti and Potenza, just a half hour away from the Adriatic Sea. This does not mean, however, that I will be coming back with a super slamming Mediterranean tan. The weather is roughly around the same as it is in Kentucky right now – the forecast for the upcoming week has highs of 50F and lows of 39F. In April, when I’ll be returning, the web is telling me highs will still only hit upper sixties. And now for the best locator of all – it is about three hours northeast of Roma (for another super convenient locating tool, note the map I’ve included below).





Macerata is not a typical tourist town (why I picked it), but is described as a university town. The program itself travels to some of the bigger cities in Italy on the weekend, so I absolutely will get the full experience of Italy. It is a city where English is spoken much less frequently that in Roma, which is another reason why I chose to go there. As the date approaches, though, the coolness of the idea of immersion into a foreign language is starting to wear thin. I did take Italian for one year at DePauw, but they didn’t offer the next level last semester, so in the midst of studying for classes and the LSAT, I sort of … didn’t really review my Italian. I’m hoping I get it back, through some sort of miracle. I’ll keep you updated on how that goes.

I’ll also let you know if I make it to Macerata. The handout helpfully entitled, “Getting to Macerata” has these wonderful, if not rather vague, directions:
~fly into Fiumincino (the airport)
~Take the express train from the airport to the train station, Roma Termini
~Catch a train bound for “Ancona or Rimini”
~One of the stops on either route “should be” Fabriano – get off there.
~Take a small (final) train to Macerata.
~Once you get to the train station in Macerata, there are street directions – I can either walk or take a taxi.
           

I feel a bit as if I’m trying to find Carmen Sandiego. But instead, it’s a city and I’m using a foreign language. I’m rolling with the understanding that the program hasn’t lost anyone yet, so the directions must be perfect. But I’ll write a blog update to let you know I got there anyway!

14 hours and counting until I’m in the air!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hope your journey to Macerata went smoothly! I'm a student worker at AHA Intl, majoring in International Studies at Portland State, and finished three years of Italiano (so I wanna tell you that it's "Ma-cher-ata" :) but ironically will not be studying abroad. I would have picked Macerata too, though. Say ciao to Filiberto for me! ;)

    ReplyDelete