Saturday, March 3, 2012

My Best Worst Idea

You know how sometimes, you have really really bad ideas? And how everyone thought that my Spring Break trip to Athens, Greece, by myself, in the middle of the crazy economic crisis, was a really, really bad idea? It probably was. Still, the trip was amazing and I'm so glad I went! And I write this completely safe in Macerata. There were actually a lot of tourists there for February, which surprised me a little, and there was only one teensy strike while I was there (and Athens is so small I didn't need the metro anyway).

I've always wanted to go to Greece, and so last Saturday I flew out of Rome and into Athens. I got to the city pretty late, but it was still really active, with lots of people walking around. My hostel was right down the street from Syntagma Sqaure (incidentally, the place of the protests in recent days), so basically right in the heart of central Athens. I could see the Acropolis literally from my bed!

The view from my room.

Athens is a great city for discovering on foot, by the way. It's a lot smaller than I initially thought, and all of the sites are within walking distance - plus, there are all these little hidden ruins and churches that you sort of stumble into while wandering around the city.

The first Sunday I was there they were still celebrating Carnival, so there was a huge market, lots of music and free entrance into a lot of sites, as well as some bands playing and tons of people just hanging out. So I walked through the festival and wound up at the Acropolis on the first day. The weather was perfect and I got there early enough that I had the park pretty much to myself.
This and below are various shots from the Acropolis!




Athens from the Acropolis!


Day 2: I was surprised to find things were closed Monday for a holiday, though I'm still not sure which one, so I had to abandon my plan of going to the museums and wander around some more ruins (darn), and some of the parks. Athens has beautiful parks, and several of them.


Parks. And Ruins. Best of both worlds.

Day 3: I took a day trip recommended by my awesome guidebook (thanks, Henderson clan) to Cape Sounion where the ruins of the Temple of Posieden stand on top of a cliff. The ruins were cool, but the best part was the bus ride up the coast. I didn't get to go to an island (guess I'll have to go back, when the economic crisis is over and it's warmer....), so it was really nice to see the coast. When we got off the bus - there was a rainbow!

The temple.



Day 4: I took another day trip, this one to Delphi. This was possibly my favorite place in Greece (possibly, it's really all a tie). The dramatic mountains, contrasted with the forest, the ruins, and the valley? Beyond gorgeous. The three hour bus ride was nice too, since Delphi was in a different part of the country, so I got to see even more of the landscape (bus trips are a cool way to see different parts of a country if you're stationed in a city).







Day 5: National Archaeology Museum of Athens. Whoa, buddy. Going through this massive museum is enough to earn anyone a minor in Archaeology. Crazy big, and wonderful exhibits. Tons of school trips there, though - can't you just hear the little Greek kids complaining about having to go to the Acropolis again - "but we went last year!" while I traveled to see it?

Slamming jewelry exhibit. Ohhhh, I could do great things with that gold necklace.


Also, one of the best Egyptian exhibits in the world - my favorite part of the whole museum.


On Friday, I got up early, went out for a pastry (a different kind than they have in Italy, but still really really good) for breakfast, then headed back to Rome. Besides seeing the sites, I had a lot of time to notice the differences between Greece and Italy (at least what I've seen of Italy, keep in mind I haven't spent time in a big city like Rome). Here's what I came up with:

1. The people look different, not that I can describe how they are different. They just do. Also, there are a lot more fat people in Athens? Not sure about that one.
2. The language, obviously. Italian is much prettier, though I like the sound of anything besides English, even though it just makes me feel stupid, since I literally didn't know any Greek at all. Though I did know the Greek alphabet (reasons to join a sorority)!
3. The food. I didn't eat pasta here! And the concept of food-to-go is a thing, unlike in Italy. 
4. The dogs. Stray dogs are everywhere, and they are huge. 
5. The police presence. Obviously. I wanted a picture of me with them in their riot gear but was afraid to ask.
6. The churches. In Greece, the big religion is Greek Orthodoxy, and the churches are built differently.
7. The music. While there is just as much American music played here, I heard lots of the traditional Greek music (think My Big Fat Greek Wedding), very different from anything I've heard in Italy.
8. Greek flags fly everywhere - Filiberto says that in Italy, flags are remniscent of supporting fascism so few people fly them, but it's quite different  in Greece where flags are flying all over. I like it though! More like America.
9. Vespas. All the time. They even have to right of way on some pedestrian sidewalks, along with some large vans. The traffic patterns confuse me. By then end of my trip I just stood really close to Athenians and crossed when they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment