Monday, April 2, 2012

My Roman Holiday

This last weekend marked our last group excursion, and we went out with a bang - Roma!


Tiber River

First of all, Rome is big. And after only three days, I'm glad I'm not studying there. The food was not as good, the service was not friendly, everything was expensive, and there were tourists everywhere. Despite all this, Rome is such a beautiful city historically and I got to see some really cool things that I forced myself to get over my deep aversion to public transportation and large masses of strangers pressed up against me (punny because I went to "mass" with the Pope... and thousands of other people).

We started with the Colosseum, the first monument I glimpsed as I hitched a ride from Fiumincino to Roma Termini so many months ago, and this time I got to go inside. Going inside was super cool and the only practical application of my many years of Latin in high school and how many times I've seen The Gladiator. It's huge! And what we see today is only 1/3 of the structure as it was originally was built. Right next to the Colosseum is the Arch of Constantine, Palatine Hill, some former temples, and the old Roman Forum (the only place I wanted to go that I didn't get to, I'll have to hit it up when I go back in a few weeks).

The famous Filiberto and Angelica with me where gladiators fought.

The Triumphal Arch of Constantine with the Colosseum lounging casually in the background.

In the afternoon, we went to the Bocca della Veritá (which was featured in Audrey Hepburn's Roman Holiday, though the film mislead me as to how long the line would be for snapping the quick picture below), a couple of ancient Roman temples, the Campidoglio - a set of stairs designed by Michelangelo, and finally we walked to the Pantheon.

My hand is still intact! This means I am not a liar.




View of the Roman Forum from the Campidoglio.

The Pantheon was closed, however, when we got there - we went to Rome during Palm Sunday weekend and there were stations of the cross occuring in the Pantheon - so we had to go back Saturday. Instead, we walked to the Trevi Fountain and I threw in a coin, then we climbed the Spanish Steps (also featured in Roman Holiday, though sadly we climbed them without gelato, like Audrey did).

Pantheon

I threw a coin into the fountain. Guess I'll have to come back.

Spanish Steps! These were also less crowded in Roman Holiday. Cinema lies.

Sunset from the top of the Spanish Steps.

Saturday, we dedicated to Vatican City (technically a different country), seeing St. Peter's Piazza, the Dome of St. Peter's, and the Basilica itself. That afternoon, we took the shortest route through the Vatican Museums to see lots of cool and famous art - including the Sistine Chapel (where photos are not allowed and neither is speaking). How short, do you ask? Only three hours. There is literally days worth of stuff in there. And so many people.

TWO COUNTRIES AT ONCE!


We climbed the Dome here too - for a spectacular view of the "arms" of the Piazza, built that way to welcome back those sneaky Protestants who would surely see the error of their ways and return to the Church.
The Pieta, by Michelangelo, inside the Basilica.

Loacoon, famous sculpture of the body under stress, in the Museums.

The "School of Athens" by Raphael in the Museum.

Sunday we got up super early and headed back to Vatican City - we had seats for the Palm Sunday Mass with Pope Benny! It was literally a different language, but it was cool that I was so close to the Pope and his swank Popemobile when he came around the crowd.



Sexy Swiss Guard attire.


Not zoomed up, actually this close!

After Mass, a couple of us tried to find a Mexican restuarant, and after several wrong turns - it was closed! Sad day. Sadly, we had to settle for Subway. Kidding - it was so satisfying to have American food (and made me think of all the food I'll want to eat when I get home)! Here, they don't have footlong subs - but rather 15 or 30 centimeter subs. Since we got up so early, we hit up a local park to relax and saw some inline skaters doing tricks, lots of kids playing soccer with their parents, people rowing in boats on lakes, and groups of people just singing along to a guitar. Such a typical Italian Sunday, enjoying life! It was nice to get away from the city for a while.

No big deal, just rowing a rowboat on Sunday.

Speaking of home, it's officially April. As in, officially the month I will come home. It's such a bizarre feeling to so desperately want to be in two completely different places at the same time for entirely different reasons. If I weren't scheduled to go home for another five months, I'd be perfectly happy, but since going home is so close, it makes me want to just be there already (and skip the whole packing bit, preferably). But I don't want to wish Italy away, because I know once I get home, I'll miss Italy (I miss Macerata on my three day trips away...). Maybe all my friends and family could just move here with me? And bring Mexican food? Okay, deal.


1 comment: